The People of the Year Awards for 2010 will be presented in the Damer Court Hotel on Wednesday, 12th January, 2011, commencing at 7.30 pm.
This year the Awards evening will be co sponsored by Bernies SuperValue Roscrea and Roscrea Credit Union.
Details of the evening were outlined recently at a reception in SuperValu, Main Street, Roscrea.
Announcing details of the Roscrea People of the Year Awards 2010 were Brian King, Business Development Officer, Roscrea Credit Union, George Cunningham, RP, the organiser of the Awards, and co-sponsor, Brian Colclough, Bernies Super Valu.
Both Bernies and the Credit Union are major community businesses in the town renowned for their professionalism and community involvement. It is highly appropriate that both should co-sponsor the People of the Year Awards. Both are deeply entrenched in not only providing top class services but in giving back to the community.
The Awards’ evening, running annually since 1987, will commence at 7.30 with a short concert by the junior members of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Ros Cré. This will be followed by an illustrated presentation on aspects of Roscrea’s recent past, particularly 2010, by George Cunningham.
The formal part of the evening will kick off with the usual presentation of collections of books to Roscrea Public Library (recently catalogued, this heritage collection now stands in excess of 2800 vols), St Cronan’s Services (Roscrea, Birr and Nenagh) and to the Dr Aisling Memorial Library at Sacred Heart Primary School. A booklet will also be available on the night with information on each recipient. A light supper will be provided at the end of the formal proceedings.
Admission is by voluntary donation and the profits of the evening go to provide the book collections for St Cronan’s Services. Please come and say well done to your fellow citizens.
The 2010 award winners are:
• John Byrne, recently retired Garda station sergeant at Roscrea, for his community commitment and involvement over many years
• The Roscrea Branch of the Irish Wheelchair Association, celebrating its 50th birthday
• Coláiste Phobal on the occasion of winning its Green Flag
• Bill Hanly, Parkmore Heights, for his commitment, annually for thirty years, in organising and leading the Lions’ holiday week for senior citizens
• Paul Spencer, Roscrea Musical Society for winning the national Aims Award for best comedian.
• Allan Eastwood, Golden Grove Road and Portlaoise, for gaining his international cricket cap for Ireland
Roscrea People of the Year Citations:
• All-Ireland Fleadh Cheoil winner, Darragh Carey-Kennedy
* Roscrea Musical Society for its evocative exhibition of seventy years of musicals in Roscrea and for winning the AIMS national award for best programme for its production of ‘Guys and Dolls.’